Skip to main content

Are Insurance Agents Licensed Professionals? [Video]

Are Insurance Agents Licensed Professionals

Welcome to today’s episode of The Murray Group Mailbag, where we answer your questions about insurance. Today’s question comes from Steve in Clifton Park, NY and Steve asks:

Are insurance agents licensed professionals?

Watch the video below and read the video’s transcript if you don’t have the capability of watching the video. If you’d like to submit your own question, you can do so in the comment section below this post, on our Facebook page or you can email us at

Are Insurance Agents Licensed Professionals?

Watch this short video to get the whole answer…

Video Transcript:

Hello, everyone, and welcome back to another episode of the Murray Group Mailbag, my name is Ryan Hanley, I’m the director of marketing and sales here at Murray Group. Today’s question comes from Steve, who lives in Clifton Park, and Steve asks, “Are insurance agents licensed professionals?” Very good question.

Yes, we are licensed professionals. Anyone who sells insurance needs to have passed… or needs to have taken both coursework and passed a licensing exam in order to sell insurance products. For property and casualty insurance agents, so think home, auto, business insurance, workers compensation things like that, the coursework is four full weeks long. Then you have to pass an exam at the end of that, which is a bit tricky. It’s not necessarily the easiest license to get. After you pass that exam, on a yearly basis, you need to be taking continuing education classes in order to stay current on what’s going on in the industry, in order to keep your license. So, it’s not just, you pass the exam and then you never have to do anything again. Every year, you have to come back and take different classes in order to keep that license active.

Beyond that, there are many designations that insurance professionals can get. Myself, I’m a Certified Insurance Counselor, CIC, which is actually five additional weeks and five additional exams that I’ve taken in order to secure that designation, and kind of go deeper into the insurance profession and the products that we sell. Ryan Murray, who is the Vice President here at the Murray Group, is also a CIC, and Cathy O’Keefe, who is our Account Manager for commercial lines, has a few designations as well.

So, we are very dedicated to education here at the Murray Group, but to answer your question Steve, Insurance Professionals, anyone selling insurance, is licensed, has to be licensed. If you’re not doing business or speaking with a licensed professional about your insurance, that’s something I would consider looking into, possibly, and a provider for.

Again, this has been the Murray Group Mailbag, and if you have your own question, you can leave it in the comment section below or you can always find us on Facebook, leave your question there, or you can go to, so send us an email at, and we’ll make sure to get your question out onto another Murray Group Mailbag episode. Thank you, and have a great day.

This video is part of an ongoing series dedicated to helping consumers get answers to their insurance questions.

If you’d like to follow along on YouTube, connect below:

If you have questions about your insurance program or if you would like to receive a proposal for auto or home insurance coverage, please give us a call at 518-777-7777 or email us at You can also click here to contact us through our website.

We’re here to help you find peace of mind.

Thank you and good luck,

Ryan Hanley, CIC

[schema type=”organization” orgtype=”LocalBusiness” url=”” name=”The Murray Group Insurance Services, Inc.” description=”Insurance to protect your family, business and life.” street=”1807 Western Avenue” city=”Albany” state=”New York” postalcode=”12203″ country=”US” email=”” phone=”518-777-7777″ ]