NY home insurance will keep you safe from expensive lawsuits, but the tips we discuss below will keep your family, your guests and you safe from common household hazards. These hazards are household products that can pose a danger if you are not aware that they can be unsafe.
According to AARP, older adults sustain injuries associated with consumer products at a rate of 1.5 times higher than other adults and are hospitalized almost five times as often. Falls account for almost three-fourths of all injuries. Look at the list of the most dangerous household products, and you will find things that people can fall out of, over, or from: beds, stairs, ladders, stools, carpets and rugs, etc.
Remember, NY home insurance will protect you financially if a guest trips and falls, but you want to use your NY home insurance as a last resort. Be proactive in eliminating tripping hazards.
In addition to using caution from falling hazards, AARP wants to bring your attention to six other household hazards:
- Lint in your dryer: Leaving lint in the dryer’s lint trap can cause a fire. Make sure to clean out that fluffy stuff before each use.
- Aluminum wiring: If you live in a home with aluminum wiring, your home is 55 times more likely than those with copper wiring to sustain a fire. Make sure to have an electrician inspect your home if you have aluminum wiring.
- Recycled paper towels: Believe it or not, the metal flicks cause a crazy amount of household fires. Keep towels far from ovens and toasters, and definitely do not use them in the microwave.
- Humidifiers: Babies love them, and so do people with dry skin. But they can spew contaminated mist. Change the water daily and remember to clean the tank often.
- Fireplaces and chimneys: Chimneys with creosote can cause explosive fires or let carbon monoxide seep into your home. Hire a contractor to clean the chimney and keep a screen in front of the fire to enclose hot embers.
- Fleas: Your dog or cat may not have them, but they can still get in your home on rodents and spread disease. If you see rodent droppings, call an exterminator and get rid of the pests.
At The Murray Group, we go beyond insurance as part of our trademarked LiveSECURE 365 process to provide our partners with tips to reduce everyday hazards that you may not be aware of. Insurance is just one part of what we do.
If you would like to speak with one of our risk consultants or a member of our risk advisory team, please do not hesitate to contact us. We would love the opportunity to provide you with a comprehensive program to reduce risk and ensure your future.
Live Secure 365,
VP, Risk Consultant
Photo credit to: http://www.seton.ca/slipping-tripping-signs-caution-tripping-hazard-w2390.html