Spring is here, and the weather is getting nicer every day. Now is a great time for NY homeowners to take care of critical spring cleanup items. Spring cleanup reduces your chance of incurring a costly homeowners insurance claim today.
We are partnering with Travelers Insurance to provide spring cleanup tips. It is important for NY homeowners to take care of the inside and outside of your home this spring.
Avoid incurring NY homeowners insurance claims this spring with these inside spring cleanup tips:
- Electrical Outlets and Cords: Check electrical outlets and cords throughout your home for any potential fire hazards such as frayed wires or loose-fitting plugs. Outlets, fuse boxes and extension cords also should be checked to make sure they are not overloaded.
- Fire Extinguishers: Check your fire extinguisher at least once yearly. Also, move your fire extinguisher to an accessible place if necessary.
- Water Heater: Check for leaks and corrosion.
- Furnace: Clean or replace your furnace filter.
- Dryers: Dryer lint can build up inside the vent pipe and collect around the duct. Clean both the clothes dryer exhaust duct and the space under the dryer. Also use a specialized brush to clean out the vent pipe. Lint can also build up inside the dryer enclosure and should be cleaned and serviced by a professional.
- Smoke Detectors: Daylight savings time is the perfect time to change the batteries in your smoke detectors. Inspect each smoke detector to ensure all are in working order. Test them monthly. There should be at least one smoke detector on each floor of your home. This includes in the hallway or area outside of each set of bedrooms, and one within each bedroom itself. Install additional smoke detectors as needed.
For the exterior of the home, you should:
- Roof: Check for any damage from snow or ice, including damage from ice dams. Make any necessary repairs to reduce the possibility of leaks.
- Gutters: Secondly, clean leaves and other debris from gutters and downspouts. This will keep water flowing and reduce the possibility of water damage.
- Trees: Third, visually inspect trees for damage or rot. In addition, remove any dead trees that might blow over in heavy winds or during a storm. Keep healthy trees and bushes trimmed and away from utility wires.
- Lawn Equipment: Make sure lawn mowers, tractors and other equipment are tuned up before using. In addition, store oil and gas for lawn equipment and tools in a vented, locked area.
- Walkways and Driveways: Lastly, repair any cracks and broken or uneven surfaces to provide a safe, level walking area.
To download this Travelers Insurance checklist, click here.
At The Murray Group, we recommend that you buy proper NY homeowners insurance in the case that you do have a loss. Yet, we don’t want you to incur claims. Claims can be time consuming and very costly.
As part of LiveSECURE 365™, The Murray Group is committed to bringing security to our partners lives. We endeavor to provide you with valuable tips and advice that you can apply in your daily life. Visit our website to watch all videos in the LiveSECURE video series.
Our phone number is (518) 456-6688 if you prefer to call a member of our risk advisory team. You can also connect with The Murray Group further on The Murray Group Facebook Page.
If you are not quite ready to contact us about your insurance but enjoyed and/or found the information in this post useful, we would very much appreciate you posting a review on Google, Yelp or Facebook.
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposely only. There is no legal advice being suggested or proffered and the author assumes no responsibility or liability for the actions taken or not taken by the readers based upon such information.
Picture credit: https://www.google.com/search?q=spring+cleaning&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiY6p-0rrPTAhVn9YMKHdd9Bp4Q_AUICCgB&biw=1366&bih=589#imgrc=GJOHaUkIBhLR4M: