At The Murray Group, we do not like the term “full coverage” for car insurance. This term can be very misleading. It causes confusion for the customer and agent. In reality, there is no such thing as full coverage!
The term full coverage generally refers to the combination of liability coverage, comprehensive coverage, and collision coverage. An auto insurance policy may also include other coverages, such as roadside assistance or transportation expense.
But think about it… does your definition of full coverage mean a very high limit of liability? Or does it mean that you buy the state’s minimum required limit? Now you see how this can be a confusing term.
Rather than use the term “full coverage”, let’s just make sure you have the most comprehensive policy that you can buy.
A car insurance policy purchased in the state of New York should have at a minimum:
- NY Auto Insurance Liability Coverage- covers injuries to others caused by the policyholder while operating an automobile.
- NY Auto Insurance No-Fault Coverage – covers medical treatment of the driver and passengers of the policyholder’s car in the event of an accident
- Collision Coverage – covers damages to the policyholder’s auto that result from a collision with another vehicle or object
- Comprehensive Physical Damage Coverage – covers damages to the policyholder’s auto resulting from incidents other than collision
- NY Auto Insurance Uninsured Motorist Coverage – covers medical treatment of the policyholder’s injuries in the event of a collision with an uninsured driver
There are other coverages that may make sense for you to purchase. These include:
- Medical payments coverage – coverage generally pays for medical costs after you are hurt in a car accident, regardless of who is found at fault for the accident. Additionally,medical payments insurance may help pay for: Funeral expenses. Injuries sustained by your passengers.
- Rental reimbursement – If you are at fault in an accident and your vehicle is being repaired, this coverage will help pay for the costs of a rental vehicle. Various levels of coverage are offered.
- Emergency road service – You can use this coverage if your car breaks down on the road and you need towing or labor.
The Murray Group is committed to bringing security to our partners lives. We therefore provide you with valuable tips and advice that you can apply in your daily life. Visit our blog for tons of information on all kinds of insurance.
Our phone number is (518) 456-6688 to speak with a team member. Also, you can connect with The Murray Group further on The Murray Group Facebook Page.
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposely only. There is no legal advice being suggested. The author assumes no responsibility or liability for the actions taken or not taken by the readers based upon such information.
Photo credit: http://southernstatesinsurance.com/i-thought-i-had-full-coverage-auto-insurance/